Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Something I learned today; actually two things - one about beer and one technical

Reading the news today, I came across a story about beer on the CBC news site. I learned that Ontario as well as most other provinces in Canada have a minimum price that beer can be sold at. I thought it was a free market. In Ontario, the LCBO (liquor control board of ontario) has a "social responsibility" mandate. This is not a bad thing, just something I did not know.


Somewhere during that news reading time, I had to reset Outlook to connect through the company's VPN. This involves shutting down Outlook, checking with task manager to make sure it is really shutdown (sometime is stays running and you either kill it or reboot) and then starting Outlook again. During this I learned that I had a RichVideo Module. I did not know this.

File.net says it is 42% dangerous. It says some maleware camouflage themselves as RichVideo.exe. So I explore further.



























Some user comments say that it is part of Cyberlink DVD. I have that installed on my pc and the file richvideo.exe is indeed in the right spot on my hard disk. So all is well.

I am in the 58% safe category.

And a case of 24 cannot be less that $25.60 in Ontario.

Not sure of the big picture effect that had but when the LCBO did the same thing for spirits, the tax revenues associated rose near $1 million a month.

It's hard to complain about sin taxes but those on really low incomes still smoke and still buy beer. They'll have less to spend on the basics. The LCBO "social responsibility" mandate must take care of this.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment